If you have a wood stove at home, surely you have wondered what is the best thing to put under it to protect your home. This decision is important, since they are devices that generate a lot of heat and there are different risks to which you can expose yourself.
In today’s post, we want to guide you in making this decision. We will explain the different options of materials that exist and we will give you tips on which are the most suitable according to the characteristics of your home and your needs.
If you want to know what to put under your wood stove and protect your home properly, keep reading! We assure you that this information will be very useful for you and will help you to enjoy your wood stove safely and comfortably.
Why it is important to know what to put under a wood stove
The first thing we want to point out is that, normally, in the case of our wood stoves, they are designed so that nothing needs to be placed under them. However, there are cases where a protector should be placed. For example, when you have a wooden floor or a floor made of a non-flammable material.
However, it is essential to know what to put under a stove for several reasons.
Firstly, for your safety. As we said before, these appliances generate heat. If you don’t take the proper measures, there can be a risk of fire.
Second, for durability. Whenever it is necessary to place protection under your stove, this material can influence its lifespan. Some materials are more resistant to heat and wear.
Lastly, for proper maintenance. This is because some materials require more cleaning than others.
Options for materials to put under the appliance
We found several options to consider for protecting the floor of your home when installing this type of appliance. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Here are the most popular options.
The use of tempered glass is one of the most popular options due to its characteristics:
- Strong and durable. Tempered glass is up to five times stronger than regular glass. They are able to withstand the heat and weight of the stove without breaking or deforming.
- In the event of breakage, it is glass that shatters into small, round, non-sharp shards. If you have children or pets at home, tempered glass can be an excellent choice to protect the floor and ensure their safety.
- Ease of cleaning. This type of glass is very easy to clean. Simply wipe them with a damp cloth or mild detergent to remove dust. In addition, it does not absorb dirt or water, so it is resistant to the formation of bacteria and mold.
- Cost. Its price varies depending on the dimensions and thickness. In general, it is more expensive than other materials. However, because of its strength and durability, tempered glass can be a long-term investment that will save you money in the future.
Ceramic or stone tiles
Ceramic or stone tile is an excellent choice for floor protection because of three characteristics:
- They are a very strong and durable material. They withstand the heat and weight of the stove without deformation or damage. In addition, they are resistant to moisture and abrasion, making them ideal for areas with high humidity.
- These types of materials are easy to maintain. As with tempered glass, these materials do not absorb moisture and are not a source of bacteria or mold. They are cleaned with a damp cloth, with warm water, to remove dust and dirt.
- Aesthetics. There is a wide variety of designs, colors and finishes available on the market, so it is easy to find the one that best suits your tastes and decor. In addition, their elegant and sober look makes them ideal for any type of home. Ceramic or stone tiles are also an excellent option to create a visual continuity between different spaces, since they can be combined with other materials and colors in a harmonious way.
Carpets or mats
Carpets or mats are a comfortable and cozy option. However, we must know that these materials can be damaged by the heat of the stove, so it is important to choose quality materials and perform good maintenance.
One of the advantages of these materials is their comfort. They are soft to the touch and provide a warm and pleasant atmosphere. In addition, they are an excellent choice for homes with children and elderly people as they are soft and safe to walk on.
Another advantage is their aesthetics and design. There is a wide variety of options on the market. They are perfect for adding a touch of personality and style to the room.
Tips for avoiding damage to carpets or mats
- Choose a high-quality, heat- and wear-resistant carpet.
- Use a protective backing, such as a mat or insulation board.
- Follow the instructions for use and maintenance of the carpet or mat. This may include regular cleaning, use of appropriate cleaning products, and changing or rotating the rug or mat from time to time.
The first thing you should know before asking this question is whether your floor needs a protective material or not. Normally, in our stoves, it is not necessary to place any material underneath, as long as you have a fireproof floor.
If you have a non-fireproof floor, or if your floor is fireproof, but you want to give it extra safety, it is essential to choose the best material for its protection.
In conclusion, it is important to know what to put under a wood stove to protect the floor of your home and ensure its durability. Ceramic or stone tiles are a strong and durable option, but they can be cold to the touch and can be expensive to install. Carpeting or matting is a comfortable and cozy option, but can be damaged or burned by the heat of the wood stove. Tempered glass is a sturdy, safe, easy to clean and aesthetically appealing option, but more expensive.
The choice of material depends on your personal needs and preferences. The most important thing is to choose a high quality material and maintain it properly to ensure its durability.
As a final recommendation, we suggest you consider purchasing one of our wood stoves. Our stoves are of high quality and meet all safety and energy efficiency standards. In addition, we offer a wide variety of models and sizes so you can find the perfect stove.
Visit our Panadero wood stoves online store. If you have any questions or need help choosing the right stove, don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help you.
We hope this post has served as a guide. Take a look at our blog and find solutions and recommendations to help you with your fireplace or wood stove.
Articles of interest:
- How to channel the air from a wood-burning fireplace?
- Is it dangerous to leave a fireplace burning at night?
- What to put behind a wood-burning stove?
- Tips for installing your PANADERO wood-burning stove
- Keys to make your wood stove more efficient
Did you like this article? If so, help us spread it 😊 . Click on the buttons below here and feel free to share it on your social networks!
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓