Do you want your fireplace or wood stove to be more efficient? At Panadero we have the keys to get the most out of your appliance, saving money and taking advantage of all its power.
During the coldest winter months, the fireplace becomes the undoubted protagonist in the homes of many families. It provides warmth, comfort and special moments. However, we must know that its operation and maintenance are essential for it to perform perfectly and last in your home for a long time.
How can I make my wood stove more efficient?
Efficiency in a fireplace or wood stove brings with it many advantages: energy savings, economic savings, durability of the fireplace, higher performance, more power, etc.
Achieving these advantages seems complicated, but it is not. We only need to pay attention to different factors: maintenance and cleaning, firewood, placement of the fireplace, installation, etc.
Let’s take a look at them!
Fireplace or wood stove installation
For us, as manufacturers of wood stoves, the installation is one of the most important aspects to take into account.
From a correct or incorrect installation, depends most of the problems that we find in the operation of our stove.
To keep in mind:
- The exterior outlet must exceed the highest part of the roof by at least 1 meter, if there is an obstacle within a radius of 5 meters, the outlet will have to exceed at least 1 meter that obstacle.
- It is important to go through walls or partitions with 45º elbows.
- Avoid horizontal sections or 90º bends.
- It is not advisable to reduce the diameter of the outlet duct as this can cause smoke plastering.
- Install an anti-revoking cap on the smoke outlet.
- It is very important that the pipe reaches the outlet and does not get stuck in the chimney.
Maintenance and cleaning
The maintenance and cleaning of the stove is another of the most important steps to ensure the efficiency and maximum performance of the appliance.
Regular cleaning avoids problems of smoke, soot and, above all, incomplete combustion.
There are two types of chimney sweeping. At the end of the winter season, it must be cleaned in depth at least once a year, this is called: mechanical chimney sweeping. As for the maintenance cleaning or chemical chimney sweeping, it should be done once a week during the winter, depending on the use of the chimney or wood stove.
Use the right firewood
Knowing which is the best firewood is fundamental. With the right firewood, we will enjoy a correct combustion, besides helping to obtain a good maintenance.
The humidity of the firewood should always be less than 20% and it should be dry and not resinous. If the firewood is humid, we will find several problems to make our fireplace does not perform at its best.
A firewood of 50% or 60% humidity does not heat and has a very bad combustion, creates a lot of soot and gives off excessive water vapor. This will lead to harmful deposits on the appliance, on the glass and in the smoke channels.
Correct location of the stove
We must choose very well the room and the place where we are going to install the fireplace or wood stove. Knowing the air currents of our house is important to avoid losing heat once we turn on the device.
Place it at a safe distance from flammable objects and furniture, as well as walls and floors that are not fireproof.
If you found this article useful, do not hesitate to visit our blog … You will find solutions and recommendations to help you with your fireplace or wood stove!
Visit our online store of Panadero wood stoves
Articles of interest:
- How to clean a fireplace? Prepare it for winter!
- Safety rules for the use of a wood stove in your home
- Do you know how to install an insert in a masonry chimney?
- What to put behind a wood-burning stove?
- Why doesn’t my wood stove heat?
Did you like this article? If so, help us spread it 😊 . Click on the buttons below here and feel free to share it on your social networks!
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓