The cold is here and winter is just around the corner. That’s why we must prepare the chimney and get it ready to perform at its best.
The answer to the question “how to clean a chimney?” has a very important objective: to remove soot. Soot gives rise to creosote, a very toxic and polluting substance that, in addition to damaging your chimney and being highly polluting for the environment, is also harmful to your health. We recommend you read the post “What is chimney soot? Is it dangerous?“.
The ignition, key to its maintenance
The ignition of the fireplace is one of the most important parts to keep it in good condition. Using the correct firewood and knowing how to ignite it will prevent poor combustion and the generation of harmful particles.
- The firewood must be dry (humidity less than 20%) and not resinous. Keep in mind that wood with 50% or 60% humidity does not heat, has a very bad combustion, creates a lot of tar, gives off excessive water vapor and produces excessive sediment in the appliance, glass and flue. You can also use pressed wood briquettes.
- Use an ignition tablet and wood chips and place logs cut in the shape of a triangle. It is essential to leave space between the logs and chips to allow air to circulate.
- Recharge the firewood once we have embers and we have spread them all over the chamber.
- Control the air draft.
- Do not light the fireplace with paper.
- Follow the installation tips with the help of a professional.
In this video we show you how a wood stove or fireplace works and how to light it correctly.
How to clean a chimney
First of all, you must make sure that the chimney is completely cold. Secondly, we must sweep or vacuum the inside of the chimney, as well as remove the tray where the ashes are.
Once we have done these steps, a chimney sweep should be performed, with a deep cleaning. In the post “How to sweep a chimney?” we explain the two types of chimney sweeping and how to perform each one.
Cleaning the combustion chamber of the chimney
The combustion chamber is the most important part of the chimney and we must treat it as such. Its maintenance and cleaning is essential.
You can use a stiff bristle brush (not wire) and scrub the chamber together with specialized products. To choose this product, we recommend that you consult a professional.
Simply leave the chosen product for 15 minutes, scrub with the brush and rinse with clean, warm water until it is clean. Leave the door of the chimney open so that it dries well.
Once we have finished cleaning, close the flue to prevent anything from getting inside and clean the glass well. To clean the chimney glass, use a specific product, we recommend you to buy “HG 0.5L stove glass cleaner” that you can find in any store or hardware store.
If you found this article useful, do not hesitate to visit our blog … You will find solutions and recommendations to help you with your fireplace or wood stove!
Visit our online store of Panadero wood stoves
Articles of interest:
- How to remove the smell of soot from the house?
- What to put behind a wood-burning stove?
- How to store firewood correctly at home
- Why doesn’t my wood stove heat?
- Do you know how to install an insert in a masonry chimney?
Did you like this article? If so, help us spread it 😊 . Click on the buttons below here and feel free to share it on your social networks!
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓