The Ecodesign 2022 standard is a European Union regulation whose main objective is to reduce the environmental impact of products and promote the circular economy. In 2022, the Ecodesign regulation will come into force for solid fuel stoves, which implies important changes in the design and manufacture of these heating devices.
Wood-burning appliances are a form of heating that has been used for centuries and is still very popular in many households. However, wood combustion can have a significant impact on the environment and air quality.
The Ecodesign standard for wood-burning stoves establishes energy efficiency and pollutant emissions requirements that manufacturers must meet in order to be able to market our products. This means that new stoves manufactured from 2022 onwards must comply with stricter requirements to reduce particulate matter and greenhouse gas emissions. If you wish, you can download a short summary of the new Ecodesign 2022 regulation by clicking here.
Objectives of the Ecodesign standard
The Ecodesign standard for these wood-burning appliances has several important objectives:
- Reducing emissions of particulate and gaseous pollutants: Wood stoves can emit a large amount of particulate pollutants and greenhouse gases. The regulation establishes stricter requirements for energy efficiency and pollutant emissions. This will significantly reduce these emissions and improve air quality in affected areas.
- Promoting energy efficiency: Energy efficiency is a key aspect in the fight against climate change. The new standard makes it possible to reduce energy consumption and, therefore, emissions. This will lead to more efficient appliances and to consumers being able to choose products that allow them to make savings.
- Promoting the circular economy: The circular economy seeks to reduce waste and make the best use of available resources. This regulation requires stoves to be more durable and repairable, which will reduce the amount of waste and encourage the reuse of materials.
- Stimulating innovation and competition: The regulation can also stimulate innovation and competition among wood stove manufacturers. Those that develop more efficient and environmentally friendly technologies will have a competitive advantage.
There are a series of requirements that all stove manufacturers must comply with in order to be able to market our products in the European Union. The following are some of the most important requirements:
- Maximum emission limits: These limits refer to the amount of particulate and gaseous pollutants. The limits are set according to the rated thermal output of the appliance, i.e. the amount of heat it can produce under optimum conditions.
- Energy efficiency requirements: These requirements refer to the amount of heat the stoves must produce in relation to the amount of fuel they consume.
- CE marking: Wood-burning stoves that meet the requirements of the regulations must bear the CE marking, which indicates that the product complies with the safety, health and environmental protection requirements of the European Union.
- Consumer information: Manufacturers must provide clear and detailed information to consumers on the performance, energy efficiency and pollutant emissions of wood stoves. This will enable consumers to make informed choices and choose more efficient and environmentally friendly products.
- Ecodesign: The Ecodesign standard also establishes ecodesign requirements for wood stoves, which aim to promote durability, repairability and the use of environmentally friendly materials. Manufacturers should take these requirements into account when designing and manufacturing wood stoves.
What are the benefits of this new standard?
This standard has many benefits for the environment, for the energy efficiency of products and for consumers.
Benefits for appliances:
- More improved combustion chambers.
- Preheated secondary air supply.
- Double thick steel body.
- Perfect combustion.
Benefits for consumers:
- Savings of up to 40% of firewood.
- A spectacle of flames much more beautiful than a conventional fire.
- Absolutely crystal-clear glass thanks to its clean glass system. This is due to the circulation of a curtain of hot air passing in front of the glass, preventing it from darkening.
- Respect for the environment by reducing emissions of polluting particles to almost zero.
- 40% ash reduction.
What does Ecodesign technically mean?
Before the regulation, to obtain the CE marking of a device, the following minimum performances were required:
Efficiency ≥ 60%.
CO emission ≤ 1 %.
The new regulation requires:
Efficiency ≥ 75 %.
- CO ≤ 0.12 % (1,500 mg/m3)
- Particulates ≤ 40 mg/m3
- NOx ≤ 120 mg/m3
- OGC ≤ 200 mg/m3
To purchase a wood stove that complies with the Ecodesign 2022 standard, you can consult the COMPLETE list of wood stoves that comply with the standard on our website. In this list you will find all our stoves that comply with the requirements of the regulation. In each of them you will find detailed information about their characteristics and technical specifications. This way, you can make an informed decision and choose a wood stove that not only allows you to enjoy warmth and comfort in your home, but is also environmentally friendly.
We hope this post has served as a guide. Take a look at our blog and find solutions and recommendations to help you with your fireplace or wood stove.
Did you like this article? If so, help us spread it 😊 . Click on the buttons below here and feel free to share it on your social networks!
Thank you for reading!
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓